Buon Giorno friends and family!

Welcome to "Blogging from the Boot", Where you can read all about my adventures spent in Italy. I will be attending the International Culinary Institute for Foreigners in beautiful Costigliole d'Asti. Along the way I will be cooking, eating, learning, and all around submerging myself in the rich and delicious culture of Italy. Mangia Mangia!

International Culinary Institute for Foreigners in Costigliole d'Asti

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

1st day os stage and Girotonno!

Tropo Tropo Tropo Tuna

(Too too much)

I have been eating tuna now for four days straight. Some great dishes, some not so great dishes...but Dominick and I came in 1st runner up in the competition right behind Italy so all that tuna was worth it.

It was such a great experience to be able to compete in the Girotonno competition, I was able to meet some important people and I feel like it will be great experience in my career to come. I am obviously very ecstatic for our team to be recognized as 1st runner up as well.

So, the competition concluded, my Dad had to go back home (sad face) and now I am here all alone in a tiny Sardinian hotel laying out on the beach during the day and promptly changing into my whites for night time service. Never in my life would I think that I would be interning at a restaurant where the cooks would be going insane over 16 covers. It was all pianno pianno (slowly slowly) last night for service as we precisely cut the chives and garnished dishes for a dining room of (gasp) 3 people.

It is just a different type of lifestyle here though, were standing around is actually better than frantically trying to get food out or pushing dishes through the dishwasher. I am going to have to get used to this "Pianno" life.

So, I asked what time to be at work tomorrow and they said 5 with a shoulder shrug. I pack up my knives and they tell me 7 am. ok sounds good. nevermind 8, well maybe 9, no how about 10.

I go to the cafe this morning for a cappuchino and show up at 9:30 in the kitchen in my whites, I figure a happy medium. They laugh c'e catso?? and I come back to 5 pm.

Welcome home, where the weather is beautiful, the food is bounissimo and the beaches are pristine but where I never know what the hell is going on.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! I love when you have a chance to get your stories up. It will be very different from anything you know and anything else you might get to know, I feel. At least you can fine tune your detail skills, right?! Mike, Uchi, and I send our love! Ciao!

    ReplyDelete