Buon Giorno friends and family!

Welcome to "Blogging from the Boot", Where you can read all about my adventures spent in Italy. I will be attending the International Culinary Institute for Foreigners in beautiful Costigliole d'Asti. Along the way I will be cooking, eating, learning, and all around submerging myself in the rich and delicious culture of Italy. Mangia Mangia!

International Culinary Institute for Foreigners in Costigliole d'Asti

Friday, April 23, 2010

sheep, goat and cow---the holy trinity!

Ciao Tutti!

We started out our day at a very small cheese maker right outside Canelli. They had a small herd of sheep and about 10 cows from which they produce their cheese from. They import special goat milk to make a cheese mixed with the three. (It was heaven) They also make a sort of sweeter sheep's milk cheese and a hard cow's milk cheese that reminded me a lot of a gorgonzola I tried last week. This cheese was paired with a very sweet raisin wine that melded the flavors complex and delicious. I have to say that was some of the best cheese I have ever tasted.

After our day trip we went back to school and had a chef from Turin come in and do a demo. He made a whole roasted goat (go figure) as well as a roasted guinea fowl that was accompanied with a sort of caramelized honey/caper sauce. After that we made a pan fried young veal chop and slow cooked polenta with local cheese.

I am so happy to be leanring in class but my mind keeps on wandering back to pastry. I think that whole side of cuisine gets side-tracked when savory is in the picture. After my research I have decided I would love to persue this and learn as much as I can about it. I found a restaurant in Portofino that has two Michelin stars (one from the pastry chef alone) as well as a 3 forks and knife award. It is located off the Amalfi Coast in the Campania region. It is called Torre del Saracino. Check it out if you would like and wish me luck that they can find accomodations for me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment