Buon Giorno friends and family!

Welcome to "Blogging from the Boot", Where you can read all about my adventures spent in Italy. I will be attending the International Culinary Institute for Foreigners in beautiful Costigliole d'Asti. Along the way I will be cooking, eating, learning, and all around submerging myself in the rich and delicious culture of Italy. Mangia Mangia!

International Culinary Institute for Foreigners in Costigliole d'Asti

Monday, April 26, 2010

Torino, rainy day, first test

Hi everyone!!

I will start by saying this weekend was one of the best ever! Turin was amazing, beautiful and with great nightlife. The food was amazing...four courses of apertivs, 3 different types of fresh pasta, artichokes with parmesean, wine for everyone, espressos (at 11 pm), and after dinner bitters.

I am loving the Italian way of life. It is so much than the US.

Last night there was a huge storm, the thunder rattled Cacsina Solaria and the rain was coming down in sheets, now it is just a wet morning, with a half mile walk to do daily it isn't a good start to the day. Good thing the rain is washing away all the pollen that I am allergic too though, this stuff is white and pillow-y and looks like snow. It falls off the trees like snow too! It is everywhere.

Last night was our first test, we were graded on our dish from 4 different chefs/food enthusiasts from around the country. I was in charge of the apertivs/first course. I created a trio of little bites, starting with a creme de pomodoro with a bufala mozzarella topping, garnished with a tiny basil leaf, next was a coronet of salted cod on a toast point, with fennel sprouts, and last was mozzarella en carrozza, with anchovy breabdrumbs and slivers of blanched asparagus. I was really happy with my plate, and the judges seemed to like it too! Anyway, gotta get to school now. Arriverderci!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds so yummy, Al; everything you ate this past weekend and everything you made for your test. Have a fun filled week!

    ReplyDelete